Aside from using FreeNAS for its NAS purposes, there are other uses for it. For those a little more technically inclined. I've found several more things you can do with FreeNAS. You may need to refer to all posts and comments to get everything working. I have not tried all these yet but will do so when I have the time.
- Podcast downloading
- Using FreeNAS as a Printer Server - see latest on Instructables
- Using FreeNAS to download Torrents
- Simple Webserver - I'll write more about this in a future post, but it is straight forward.
- Wiki Server - This fits right on top of the webserver. FreeNAS already has PHP! ;)
- 9 Great Things About FreeNAS
- 9 Reasons To Use FreeNAS At Work
- 11 FreeNAS Tips
- Data Recovery Using FreeNAS
- Setup Samba Shares with FreeNAS - A 5 Minute Tutorial
- Learning FreeNAS: Configure and manage a network attached storage solution - Great FreeNAS reference book.
- Network Know-How: An Essential Guide for the Accidental Admin
- Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition
For additional links to tips and tricks follow me on Twitter. If you would like to contribute to FrugalNYC or FrugalTech in any way (guest posts, articles, ideas, interesting links, advice, financial assistance, or anything else), feel free to contact me via email. Click here to add this to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalTech by Email.