A new version of Avast antivirus has been released.
New to FrugalNYC's FrugalTech? Enjoy more free content by Clicking here to add this to your RSS reader or Subscribe to FrugalTech by Email.
The new avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 has a completely revamped interface and significantly enhanced malware protection. Its new heuristic anti-malware engine offers code-emulator technology, and powerful boot-time scan. Avast is one of my favorite FREE Antivirus offerings. One of the best things about it is the boot-time scan, which can help remove some nasties that other anti-virus protection cannot, even paid ones like Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 or McAfee AntiVirus. The plus for the paid versions are for businesses who need support.
Check out the review of avast 5 on pcmag.com. You can download avast! Free Antivirus 5.0 for XP, Vista or Windows 7 here.
Alternative Free Antivirus Software
- AVG Antivirus version 9 - Another favorite of mine
- Avira Antivir - My current recommendation. It's simple to use and you get updates daily
- Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft did a good job with this one. Will be testing on a few systems with this soon.
- Clamwin - Open Source Antivirus. If you love Open Source, this is a product for you.
- Norton Security Scan - A free product from a leading antivirus maker. It's simple, but may not offer as much as some of the others above.
My Current Recommended Books
- You can buy the Learning FreeNAS: Configure and manage a network attached storage solution book if you are looking for a good FreeNAS reference book.
- Network Know-How: An Essential Guide for the Accidental Admin
- Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition